Gem Mining Attractions in North Georgia
For a memorable, family-friendly outing in the Georgia mountains, consider a trip to try gem mining in North GA.
These Georgia gemstone mining attractions have everything you’ll need to find one-of-a-kind treasures that you can keep for a lifetime. Test your luck at these popular North Georgia gem mining locations and find a wide variety of gems that may soon become your favorite souvenirs!
Enjoy this fun pastime while searching for valuable gems, including rubies, emeralds, sapphires, amethysts, garnets, topaz, citrine, peridot, and much more!
North Georgia Gem Mining Attractions
Gem mining in Georgia is a fun, family activity that includes the potential to find valuable gems! These local gem mines and attractions offer a unique way to explore Georgia while searching for sparkly treasures that you can keep.
North Georgia Gem Mining and Gold Exhibits
In addition to gold and gem panning, these popular Dahlonega gem mining attractions also include educational gold mining exhibits. Pan for gold, pan for gemstones, and learn more about the history of gold and mining in North Georgia at these top-rated attractions.
Consolidated Gold MineEnjoy mine tours, gold panning, gemstone mining, and more at Consolidated Gold Mine in Dahlonega GA, the largest hard rock gold mine east of the Mississippi. This mine goes 200 feet underground, where your tour guide will demonstrate how miners blasted quartz veins to uncover vast deposits of gold.
The Consolidated Mine is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Phone: +1 (706) 864-8473
- Address: 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd, Dahlonega, GA
- Website: consolidatedgoldmine.com
- Facebook: Consolidated Gold Mine is rated 4.9 with 750+ reviews and 8,950+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Consolidated Gold Mine is rated 4.5 with 1,175+ reviews
- Ranked #1 for Things to Do in Dahlonega
Crisson Gold Mine
Another great option for gem mining in Dahlonega GA is the Crisson Gold Mine. Enjoy gem grubbing plus additional attractions, including gold panning and wagon rides. Bring a lunch to enjoy from the picnic tables next to the Crisson mine.
- Phone: +1 (706) 864-6363
- Address: 2736 Morrison Moore Parkway E, Dahlonega, GA
- Website: crissongoldmine.com
- Facebook: Crisson Gold Mine is rated 5.0 with 350+ reviews and 4,600+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Crisson Gold Mine is rated 4.5 with 425+ reviews
North Georgia Gem Mining and Gold Attractions
These North GA gem grubbing attractions allow visitors to purchase pre-filled buckets of gems and gold. Take your bucket to their panning and sifting areas to search for treasures in your bucket.
Aska Mining Company
Aska Mining Company is located on the Toccoa River in Blue Ridge and offers gold panning, gem mining, a gift shop, and more. The ASKA Mining Company is veteran-owned and offers a 10% discount for active and retired veterans, first responders, and law enforcement officers.
- Phone: +1 (706) 258-4854
- Address: 8436 Aska Road, Blue Ridge, GA
- Website: askaminingcompany.com
- Facebook: Aska Mining Company is rated 5.0 with 50+ reviews and 875+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Aska Mining Company is rated 5.0 with 25+ reviews
Dukes Creek Gold & Ruby Mines
Pan for gold and gems at this Sautee Nacoochee mine and shop for local treats in the gift shop. All panning tables are covered to help keep you comfortable in any weather. The gold is mined locally from nearby Dukes Creek, the site of the first major Gold Rush in the USA.
Choose from unique activities, including panning for gold, mining for gems, mining for fossils, or breaking a geode!
- Phone: +1 (706) 878-2625
- Address: 6145 GA-75, Sautee Nacoochee, GA
- Website: dukescreek.com
- Facebook: Dukes Creek Gold and Ruby Mines is rated 5.0 with 25+ reviews and 1,200+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Dukes Creek Gold & Ruby Mines is rated 4.5 with 125+ reviews
- Ranked #1 for Sights and Landmarks in Helen
Outpost Gold and Gem
Search for treasure in your choice of buckets of gemstones, buckets of gold, or buckets of fossils at this centrally located attraction on South Main Street in Helen.
- Phone: +1 (706) 878-5065
- Address: 7901 South Main Street, Helen, GA
- Website: outpostgoldandgems.com
- Facebook: Outpost Gold & Gem Panning, Gift Shop, and Jewelry Store is rated 5.0 with 375+ reviews and 1,800+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Outpost Gold and Gem is rated 4.5 with 100+ reviews
Talking Rock General
Talking Rock General features exciting ways to test your luck from gemstone mining, gold panning sluice, and a fossil dig area. Top the fun with the on-site gift shop’s ice cream or other treats.
- Phone: +1 (706) 253-4367
- Address: 5119 Hwy 136 W, Talking Rock, GA
- Website: talkingrockgeneral.com
- Facebook: Talking Rock General is rated 4.8 with 25+ reviews and 1,425+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Talking Rock General is rated 4.5 with 5+ reviews
- Ranked #1 for Shopping in Talking Rock
Gold ‘n Gem Grubbin’
Gold N Gem Grubbin previously offered a unique place on-site to hunt for gems, but this mining location is CURRENTLY CLOSED. Buckets of gold, bags of gemstones, and mining equipment are available for purchase from their online store only.
- Phone: +1 (706) 865-5454
- Website: goldngemgrubbin.com
North Georgia Gem Mining Attractions
The North Georgia attractions offer gem mining plus additional family-friendly activities, including mini-golf, fishing, and feeding goats!
Cohutta Cove Mini Golf
Cohutta Cove Mini Golf offers gem mining, miniature golf, ice cream, coffees, and drinks.
- Phone: +1 (706) 946-1920
- Address: 64 Dunbarton Farm Road, Blue Ridge, GA
- Website: cohuttacoveminigolf.com
- Facebook: Cohutta Cove Mini Golf and Gem Mining is rated 4.7 with 50+ reviews and 2,175+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Cohutta Cove Mini Golf & Gem Mining is rated 4.5 with 50+ reviews
Goats on the Roof
Goats on the Roof GA is a roadside tourist attraction that features goats that walk up ramps, around play areas, and on the roofs of the buildings (of course)! Let the kids feed the goats, enjoy the small playground area, and try their luck at Goats on the Roof gem mining.
The gift shop features goat-themed products, local souvenirs, and snacks.
- Phone: +1 (706) 782-2784
- Address: 3026 U.S. 441 South, Tiger, GA
- Website: goats-on-the-roof.com
- Facebook: Goats on the Roof is rated 4.9 with 550+ reviews and 27,375+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Goats on the Roof is rated 4.5 with 250+ reviews
- Ranked #1 for Things to Do in Tiger
The Lilly Pad Village Miniature Golf and Gem Mining
The Lilly Pad Village offers gem mining, mini-golf, and fishing. Free decks and picnic tables are available for guests. They take pride in being the “most generous, comfortable, and educational gem mining experience in Blue Ridge.”
- Phone: +1 (706) 534-1317
- Address: 24 Adelaide Drive, Blue Ridge, GA
- Website: lillypadvillage.com
- Facebook: The Lilly Pad Village is rated 4.8 with 125+ reviews and 3,725+ likes
- TripAdvisor: The Lilly Pad Village is rated 4.5 with 275+ reviews
Which North Georgia gem mines look the most fun for your group? What gems have you found on your gemstone mining adventures?
To learn more about treasure hunting in North Georgia, visit the post about Panning for Gold in North Georgia.
This is a great guide to gem mining in North Georgia, something which I am sure kids would love. Many years ago I went on a guided tour of a defunct gold mine in South Africa, which was very interesting to see how things used to be done. Being able to do your own panning and possibly find gold or other gem stones, will be such a novelty.
You mention that at some of these mining site you can purchase a bucket that is already filled with gold, gemstones or even fossils. Do you have an indication as to how much it costs for a bucket? If you find gold in your bucket, is it still inside the rock that you need to have it melted then? Thank you
Hi Line, The buckets come in different sizes but usually start around $10 – $15. The gold is usually already separated and comes in smaller flake-sized pieces. Once in a while, someone will get a larger piece, but I’m not sure what form they are in when they are larger and more valuable.
Do any of these gems hold any actual value?
Does the gold still exist within the mines or there’s no more?
What a great post I have come across! Finding gem mining attractions in north Georgia sounds like a good activity to do with your family. Gem attractions are always fun because they are like finding golden nuggets.
Thank you for listing many companies about the gem mining attraction. It seems popular over there in north Georgia, I would too go with my family because finding gems and gold are pretty cool and fun to do because there are different types of gem stones.
Hi Caleb, The gems you’ll get at the North Georgia mining attractions are all uncut gems and will vary in value. Most people do not strike it rich by finding unusually large or unique gems during these outings, but they do find pretty stones to take home as souvenirs or have made into jewelry. That said, once in a while, people do get lucky and end up with something valuable!
For more information on Georgia’s gold deposits, read the separate article (and comments) about Panning for Gold in North Georgia.
Hello, I had heard about precious stones their values in the market but also the beauty but I did not know where to look, until I came across your site the precious stone mining attractions in georgia gives me really want to get started, thank you for all this information
Hello! Mining for gems at these North Georgia attractions is one of the easiest and most fun ways to find these precious stones. Enjoy!!