Places to Enjoy Local Meads in North Georgia
North Georgia is home to lots of great ways to support local agriculture, including a handful of great local meaderies. Read to learn more about where you can find honey-based meads made locally in North Ga.
Local Meads in North Georgia
Mead is a honey-based alcoholic beverage that has been made for millennia and referred to as the “nectar of the gods” by the ancient Greeks.
This classic, old-world beverage receives modern treatments that combine with local flavors to craft a wide variety of unique, local North Georgia meads. Visit the on-site tasting rooms for a mead tasting flight or for a bottle of mead.
Map of Local Meads in North Georgia
This interactive map can help you locate the local meadery that is the most convenient for your group. Click the top left icon on the map to toggle the menu and add additional attractions (cider houses and vineyard wineries).
Meaderies in North Georgia
These local meaderies are dedicated to producing quality meads and offer a great selection to enjoy.
Located in Dahlonega at the heart of Georgia’s wine country, Etowah Meadery gives local “wine” a unique buzz! Visit the website for the current list of bottled mead and sparkling mead then visit the tasting room to purchase a bottle or try a tasting flight (4 x 1 oz pours).
Light snacks are available in the tasting room (Boar’s Head snacks, meat, and cheese). Dogs are welcome at Etowah Meadery. Discounts are available for active and retired military (15% off with ID) and local Dahlonega residents (10% off with local ID).
Etowah Meadery is open Wednesdays through Sundays.
- Call: +1 (706) 864-6323
- Address: 3003 Morrison Moore Pkwy East, Dahlonega, GA
- Website: etowahmeadery.com
- Facebook: Etowah Meadery is rated 4.9 with 125+ reviews and 4,325+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Etowah Meadery is rated 4.5 with 20+ reviews
- Untappd: Etowah Meadery is rated 3.8 with 2,100+ reviews
Visit the Tesnatee River Winery and Meadery to enjoy the farm-to-table fresh experience! Try a mead-tasting flight to find your new favorite drinks while enjoying a complimentary bread basket. Purchase charcuterie plates and other snacks to enjoy on-site or pick up local treats to take home for later.
Open daily for your convenience. Leashed dogs are welcome.
- Call: +1 (706) 352-5488
- Address: 172 Lloyds Honey Farm Road, Cleveland GA
- Website: tesnateeriverwineryandmeadery.business.site
- Facebook: Tesnatee River Winery and Meadery is rated 5.0 with 25+ reviews and 1,250+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Tesnatee River Winery & Meadery
Note that Waldmet Cellars in Jasper closed permanently on December 31, 2022.
Additional Places for Mead in North GA
Although these locations do not specialize in producing mead, they frequently offer one or two types of mead on their tasting menus. Call or check online to learn more about current selections available at these popular North Georgia destinations.
Mercier Orchards in Blue Ridge is primarily known for their market, hard ciders, and U-pick fruit events, but they also often have meads available on tap. During a November 2022 visit, all mead in the tasting room was from Etowah Meadery.
This family-friendly destination opens early every day and invites you to shop at the market and sample the drinks. The primary market and bakery are open daily, while the farm cafe is open from Saturday to Monday. Mercier Orchards is closed on holidays. Note that the Mercier Orchards store in downtown Blue Ridge closed in 2020.
- Call: +1 (800) 361-7731
- Address: 8660 Blue Ridge Drive, Blue Ridge, Georgia
- Website: mercier-orchards.com
- Facebook: Mercier Orchards is rated 4.8 with 5,250+ reviews and 96,000+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Mercier Orchards is rated 4.5 with 2,475+ reviews
- Untappd: Mercier Orchards is rated 3.6 with 5,900+ ratings
A beautiful gem with a Tuscan feel in the Georgia Mountains is Montaluce Winery and Restaurant, a short drive north of Dahlonega square. This winery is a GaMountainsGuide favorite for its classic elegance and ability to transport you to an old-world feeling of Tuscany. The gourmet restaurant has panoramic vineyard views and is a great place to enjoy the sunset. On-site lodging is available in Tuscan-style villas. Tesla charging stations are available for patrons.
Depending on the year, they may have bottles of Montaluce mead available. Call for more details, or purchase online (shipping only available to Georgia and Florida).
- Call: +1 (706) 867-4060
- Address: 501 Hightower Church Road, Dahlonega, GA
- Website: montaluce.com
- Facebook: Montaluce Winery and Restaurant is rated 4.6 with 675+ reviews and 26,350+ likes
- TripAdvisor: Montaluce Winery & Restaurant is rated 4.0 with 625+ reviews
Note that the BeeCraft Mead Company in Dawsonville closed its tasting room in Spring 2020.
Please save, share, and comment!
Visit these articles to learn more about other types of locally produced alcoholic beverages:
- Distilleries and Spirits in the Georgia Mountains
- Local Cider in North Georgia
- Local North Georgia Breweries and Beer
- Vineyards and Wineries in the Georgia Mountains