Helen Fasching in North Georgia
Around the world, Carnival and Mardi Gras celebrations are known as some of the most festive events of the year. In Alpine Helen, Georgia, this pre-Lent season is known as Fasching and brings weeks of fun celebrations, costumes, parties, and parades.
Quick Article Navigation:
Celebrate Fasching in Helen, GA
Every year in the weeks before Lent, the Bavarian town of Helen enjoys a season of celebration for Fasching. Gather friends and your favorite costumes to enjoy themed parties with live music that happen at multiple locations across town.
Check the 2023 Helen Fasching schedule below for local events that include live German music, costume contests, and even a parade with “Schnapps Stops!”
What is Fasching?
Fasching events are indulgent pre-Lent celebrations in some German-speaking countries that lead up to the final day of the Fasching season on Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the 40-day-long period of Lent and the end of Fasching. However, no matter what your religious beliefs may be, everyone is invited to celebrate Fasching in Helen, GA.
Whether you intend to experience it all (including a winter float down the Chattahoochee River after the parade) or simply attend the festive indoor parties at night, Fasching in Helen is a great way to experience a well-known holiday with a few Georgian and German touches.
2023 Fasching Schedule
Mark your calendars for a wide variety of events and ways to celebrate Fasching in Helen. The 2023 Helen Fasching events are hosted by different groups and held at multiple locations around town.
- January 12, 2023 – History Night at the Museum: “Fasching” at Helen Arts & Heritage Center
- February 3, 2023 – Fasching Party at The Heidelberg
- February 4, 2023 – 12th Annual Faschingsverein Helen Sidewalk Parade
- February 4, 2023 – 12th Annual Faschingsverein Helen River Tubing
- February 4, 2023 – Fasching Party at Helendorf River Inn
- February 10, 2023 – Helen Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl and Scavenger Hunt (Day 1 of 2)
- February 11, 2023 – Helen Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl and Scavenger Hunt (Day 2 of 2)
- February 11, 2023 – Fasching Party at Hofbrauhaus Restaurant
- February 10, 2024 – Fasching Party at Helen Festhalle
2023 Fasching Event Details
Learn more about each of the 2023 Helen GA Fasching events below.
THU, JAN 12th – Fasching History Night at the Museum
Get an early start on the festivities with this free learning event on January 12th. Helen Arts & Heritage Center presents “History Night at the Museum: Fasching.” Immerse yourself in the rich history of Fasching with this event and Fasching exhibit from Sharon Hartis and the Faschingsveren Helen Organization.
- VENUE • Helen Arts & Heritage Center
- ADDRESS • 25 Chattahoochee Strasse, Helen, GA
- DATE • Thursday, January 12, 2023
- TIME • 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- WEBSITE • whitecountychamber.org/events
FRI, FEB 3rd – Fasching Party at the Heidelberg
Get excited for the first party of the Fasching season in Helen, Georgia. Head over to The Heidelberg in the heart of Helen’s White Horse Square for a wonderful meal in the restaurant, followed by live music by The Gluckliches Quartet in the Bierhimmel Konzerthalle on the 3rd floor! No cover charge.
- VENUE • The Heidelberg
- ADDRESS • 8660 N Main Street, Helen, GA
- DATE • Friday, February 3, 2023
- TIME • 8:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- WEBSITE • facebook.com/events/724476899241324
SAT, FEB 4th – 12th Annual Fasching Parade
Get in on the fun and participate in the 12th Annual Fasching Parade! The parade strolls by local establishments and visits designated “Schnapps Stops” along the way to add to the fun.
To join the parade, arrive at the Helendorf River Inn & Conference Center for registration and staging between 11:00 am and 12:45 pm. To participate in the Schnapps Stops, pick up an armband during registration (available for $20 with a valid ID).
The parade leaves the Helendorf at 1:00 pm.
SAT, FEB 4th – Chilly Chattahoochee Tubing
At the end of the Fasching parade, anyone interested in a polar-bear-style chilly river float can take advantage of free tube rental for a short float down the Chattahoochee River through Helen. Pick up tubes at the end of the parade at the Riverbend Motel and turn them in at the take-out at the Helen Festhalle Biergarten. Limited to the first 100 registrants.
SAT, FEB 4th – Fasching Party at the Helendorf
After an exciting day of the colorful Fasching parade and chilly Chattahoochee tubing, head to the Helendorf River Inn for a lively Fasching party at night. A $5 cover charge includes live music by Larry & Sherry, Johnny Koenig, and Joey Tokar. BYOB (including mixers and soft drinks).
- VENUE • Helendorf River Inn, Suites, & Conference Center
- ADDRESS • 33 Munich Strasse, Helen, GA
- DATE • Saturday, February 4, 2023
- TIME • 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- WEBSITE • facebook.com/events/694568872079413
FRI, FEB 10th – Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl & Scavenger Hunt (Day 1 of 2)
In Alpine Helen, the 7th Annual Helen Hüttengaudi begins with a 2-day pub crawl and scavenger hunt, followed by a Fasching party on Saturday night.
Pick up a game card at any participating business and venture around Helen to get cards punched and collect clue answers. The person who collects the most correct answers to the scavenger hunt clues and has the most punches from participating businesses will win a 2-liter oak barrel!
- Pick up a card at any of the participating businesses
- Collect card punches from participating businesses AND complete / correct scavenger hunt answers
- Turned in game cards to the Hofbrauhaus by 6:00 pm on Saturday, 2/11
- Winner is the person with the most card punches and complete correct answers and will be announced at 6:30 pm
Clear your schedule to give yourself enough time to visit all 17 stops on the 2023 Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl Scavenger Hunt. Plan your route through town with the interactive map below.
- Hofbrauhaus Restaurant & Pub ($3 German draft for participants during pub crawl)
- Betty’s Country Store (German beer: $3.99 during pub crawl)
- Alpine Café
- Alpine Pizza Garden
- Hofer’s Bakery & Café
- Two Tire Tavern
- The Heidelberg ($5 Fruh Kolsch and $4 shots apfelkorn during pub crawl)
- King Ludwig’s Biergarten
- Cowboys & Angels Restaurant and Bar (1 L souvenir mug with beer ($10 import / $8 domestic) and $5 fireball shots during pub crawl)
- Alpine Brew Deck
- The Troll Tavern
- Café International (10% off of food item during pub crawl)
- Bodensee Restaurant
- Bigg Daddys Restaurant and Tavern (10% off food item for participants during pub crawl)
- La Cabaña Mexican Restaurant (House Margarita $5 during pub crawl)
- McCoyne’s Brew Pub ($5 Backyard Bonfire shot during pub crawl)
- Nacoochee Village Tavern & Pizzeria
Map of Fasching Pub Crawl and Parties
SAT, FEB 11th – Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl & Scavenger Hunt (Day 2 of 2)
The pub crawl is fun enough by itself, but there is also a valuable prize for the winner of the scavenger hunt!
Day 2 of the pub crawl ends with a party and a Facebook live event to announce the winner of the scavenger hunt.
- Turn in Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl Scavenger Hunt game card at the Hofbrauhaus by 6:00 pm on Saturday, 2/11
- The Hüttengaudi Pub Crawl and Scavenger Hunt prize winner will be announced at the Hofbrauhaus at 6:30 pm
- Must be present to win
- Learn more about the event at facebook.com/events/581340497158191.
SAT, FEB 11th – Fasching Party at the Hofbrauhaus
After a busy weekend of Helen pub crawling, head to the Hofbauhaus to find out which of your pub-crawling friends managed to win the prize by visiting the most places and answering the most clues.
- VENUE • Hofbrauhaus Restaurant
- ADDRESS • 9001 N Main St, Helen, GA
- DATE • Saturday, February 11, 2023
- TIME • 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- WEBSITE • facebook.com/events/581340497158191
SAT, FEB 18th – Fasching Party at Helen Festhalle
On the final weekend before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday (February 14, 2024), celebrate German Mardis Gras with live German music, dancing, and fun at the Helen Festhalle!
Costumes are not required, but the best ones are eligible to win prizes for best male costume, best female costume, and best overall presentation! A $10 cover charge includes live music from Sonne Schnapps Trio.
- VENUE • Helen Festhalle
- ADDRESS • 1074 Edelweiss Strasse, Helen, GA
- DATE • Saturday, February 10, 2024
- TIME • 7:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- WEBSITE • helenchamber.com/events/fasching
Lodging Near Helen Fasching Events
Enjoy the convenience of the walkable small-town environment and book your stay near the Helen Fasching events. Find the perfect riverfront hotel, condo, or rental home using the interactive booking map below. Enter your travel dates to see current pricing and availability for your next trip!
For more great ways to enjoy your time in Alpine Helen, Georgia, check out these links:
- The Ultimate Guide to the Helen GA Oktoberfest (Helen’s biggest event!)
- Waterfront Dining in the Georgia Mountains
- Waterfront Vacation Rentals in Helen, GA
- Best Restaurants in Helen GA
- Top 15 Places to See Live Music in Helen, GA
Thank you for sharing and saving this post!
What sounds like the most fun part of Fasching for you? Would you be willing to float down the Chattahoochee River in the Winter or in the snow??