Hostels in the North Georgia Mountains
The North Georgia mountains are a great place to find many different types of adventures. For those who only need the most basic accommodations after a day of exploring, a stay in a hostel is an economical way to rest up and clean up before heading back outside.
Hostels in the North Georgia Mountains
These North Georgia hostels provide a cozy space to rest after a day of hiking in North Georgia. Be sure to inquire with your hostel about shuttles to and from your hiking sites!
Mountain Crossings Hostel at Walasi-Yi
The only North Georgia hostel located on the Appalachian Trail, the historic Walasi-Yi Interpretive Center is also the only place on the 2,175-mile-long trail that passes through a man-made structure! Stock up on supplies at the on-site outfitter or pick up a mail drop resupply without leaving the trail.
Affordable hostel beds are available on a first-come, first-in basis (no reservations are available). Dogs are not allowed inside the hostel, but hikers are welcome to camp for free with their dogs at the campsite just 200 yards behind the building.
- Call: +1 (706) 745-6095
- Address: 12471 Gainesville Highway, Blairsville, GA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: mountaincrossings.com
- Facebook: @MountainCrossings is rated 4.8 with 175+ reviews and 12,100+ likes
Hostel Around the Bend near Hiawassee
Formerly known as the “Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center,” this North Georgia hostel went through an ownership change in 2020 and is now known as Hostel Around the Bend.
Hostel Around the Bend is located 0.6 miles from the Appalachian Trail at Dicks Creek Gap and offers private rooms and individual bunks. Reservations are accepted for private rooms only. Bunks in the bunkhouse are available to walk-ins only (no reservations accepted).
Amenities include guest laundry, shuttle to town, wifi, outdoor grill, and resupply box holding. Pet-friendly options are also available.
- Call: +1 (706) 389-9668
- Address: 7675 Highway 76 E, Hiawassee, GA
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: hostelaroundthebend.com
- Facebook: Hostel Around the Bend is rated 5.0 with 5 reviews and 875+ likes
Above the Clouds Hostel in Suches
Above the Clouds hostel is located in the Chattahoochee National Forest and is the first hostel that hikers will reach on their NOBO journey hiking the Appalachian Trail.
Book a private room or a single bunk and enjoy the on-site amenities including wifi, privacy curtains, showers, laundry, plus shuttles toA.T. crossings at Woody Gap (1.3 miles away) and Gooch Gap (2.4 miles away).
- Call: +1 (706) 747-1022
- Address: 1487 State Highway 60, Suches, GA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: abovethecloudshostel.com
- Facebook: @abovethecloudshostel is rated 5.0 with 20+ reviews and 775+ likes
Hiker Hostel near Dahlonega
The Hiker Hostel at Barefoot Hills offers the perfect retreat from the Appalachian Trail. Book a night for one of 4 single bunks in a communal bunk room along with bathroom and shower access. Enjoy a peaceful night of comfortable sleep in a heated/air-conditioned room and spend time on the communal patio, including tables, a fire pit, and a grill. Wifi and a smart TV are also included with your stay.
Hikers will appreciate the amenities that include PEET electric hiking boot warmers, a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.
The location is within walking distance of local attractions Etowah Meadery & Brewery (next door) and Crisson Gold Mine. There are also two gas stations and a Dollar General within 0.3 miles to allow thru-hikers a place to resupply. Rent kayaks on-site for the nearby Lake Zwerner or Yahoola Creek.
Hikers beginning their Appalachian Trail NOBO trek in late Winter / early Spring can book packages with a shuttle from Atlanta area locations (including the ATL airport).
No dogs are allowed at The Hiker Hostel.
- Call: +1 (770) 312-7342
- Address: 7693 Highway 19 N, Dahlonega, GA
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: hikerhostel.com
Former Hostel Locations in North Georgia
There used to be additional hostels in the North Georgia area, but as of the 2021 season, they no longer offer hostel space to hikers.
- Lost on Purpose Hiker Haven in Hiawassee
- Opened for the 2020 season but not open for 2021
- Note that their Facebook page has not been updated to reflect the closed status
- Wolf Pen Gap Country Store in Suches
- The store is still open, but no hostel/beds are currently available to hikers
- Note that their Facebook page has not been updated to reflect the hostel’s closed status
- Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center in Hiawassee
- This hostel underwent an ownership change in 2020
- The location is open but now operates as Hostel Around the Bend (see details above)
For youth hostels and more hostel locations, check HostelWorld.com for more hostels in the USA and around the world.
Other Unique Hiker Lodging in North Georgia
For hikers looking for more than a hostel offers, check out other unique North Georgia lodging!
Len Foote Hike Inn
The Len Foote Hike Inn is a sustainably designed backcountry lodge that provides a truly unique backcountry lodging option for hikers. Guests are required to make a 5.0-mile hike to get to the inn from Amicalola Falls State Park. From the Hike Inn, it is a 4.4-mile hike to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail at Springer Mountain.
The inn has 20 private “bunkrooms” available that can accommodate up to 2 adults plus 1 child (larger parties will need to reserve more than one room). A shared bathhouse has separate facilities for women and men and includes hot showers, soap, shampoo, and fresh towels. Two hot home-cooked meals are included each day and served family-style.
The Hike Inn has a strong focus on conservation and utilizes smart designs including solar power and composting toilets. Facility tours are given each night before dinner, and educational programs are hosted after dinner. Note that unplugging is strongly encouraged — guests are asked not to use cell phones and there are no power outlets in the bunkrooms.
- Call: +1 (800) 581-8032
- Address: 280 Amicalola Falls State Park Rd, Dawsonville, GA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: hike-inn.com
- Facebook: @lenfootehikeinn is rated 4.9 with 150+ reviews and 17,000+ likes
Which of these unique accommodations in North Georgia look best for your next trip?