Alpine Fun at the Annual Helen Georgia Oktoberfest
Did you know that the longest-running Oktoberfest in the United States happens in Helen in the North Georgia mountains each year? Join the town of Helen this Fall to celebrate the annual Helen Oktoberfest!
Helen Oktoberfest 2023 starts on September 7th and lasts for 7 and a half weeks! Get details below on how to enjoy Helen’s most popular annual event!
Quick Article Navigation:
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest 2023
The 2023 Helen GA Oktoberfest dates are from September 7 through October 29. Make plans now to attend the festivities with the details below.
So what should you expect at the annual Oktoberfest event in Helen?
The alpine mountain town of Helen looks like a Bavarian village all year round, but this small town packs extra oomph during Oktoberfest. In addition to the lively German music and attire, expect to find plenty of beer, wine, and traditional German foods, including pretzels, brats, and sauerkraut!
The weather may still be hot as festivities start in September — you may even find yourself sweating in your lederhosen! Take advantage of the warmer temperatures and float down the Chattahoochee River on a sunny afternoon.
As the event nears its close in late October, the weather will be cooler, and the Georgia mountains will burst with gorgeous fall colors. Check the weather forecast in advance and dress accordingly to ensure your comfort.
Traffic can slow down considerably during peak hours, so give yourself extra time for travel. The biggest crowds show up when the fall colors of the leaves in the mountains are at their most colorful peak — this annual display attracts thousands of people to enjoy the natural beauty and coincides with the Oktoberfest schedule. Many hotels and cabins are fully booked during these weekends, so be sure to book your lodging in advance for the best selection.
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest Schedule
You will find that the entire Helen village gets wrapped up in the spirit of Oktoberfest, but the main event happens at the Helen Festhalle at 1074 Edelweiss Strasse. Check the Helen GA Oktoberfest calendar below and make plans to attend the festivities!
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest Dates 2023
The 2023 Helen Ga Oktoberfest starts on Thursday, September 7th, and runs through Sunday, October 29th. The Helen Georgia Oktoberfest schedule is Thursdays – Sundays in September (9/7 – 9/30) and daily in October (10/1 – 10/29).
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest Hours
The official Oktoberfest events run long weekends (Thursdays – Sundays) from September 7th through September 30th. In October, the Oktoberfest events are celebrated daily at the Festhalle!
The Helen Oktoberfest is a family-friendly event, offering half-price admission for kids aged 6 to 12, and free entry for kids 5 and under. Active and retired military personnel receive free admission with a valid military ID. Plus, to top it off, everyone gets FREE admission to Helen Oktoberfest on SUNDAYS!
- SUN (FREE) • 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- MON ($10) • 6:00 pm – 10:30 pm
- TUE ($10) • 6:00 pm – 10:30 pm
- WED ($10) • 6:00 pm – 10:30 pm
- THU ($10) • 6:00 pm – 10:30 pm
- FRI ($10) • 6:00 pm – 12:00 am
- SAT ($12) • 1:00 pm – 12:00 am
Purchase your tickets at the door for the Helen Oktoberfest. Groups of 25 or more can request a group package with advance reservation & prepayment only.
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest Parade 2023
There is an Oktoberfest parade on the first Saturday of Oktoberfest to kick off the festival. The 2023 Oktoberfest parade Helen GA is on Saturday, September 9th, at 12:00 pm.
Get there early to find a great viewing spot along the Helen Oktoberfest parade route:
- Starts on Edelweiss Strasse near the Festhalle
- Turns on to Chattahoochee Strasse
- Turns on to Main Street
- Ends at Betty’s Country Store
The Oktoberfest parade route in Helen can also be viewed on the map of Helen GA Oktoberfest below.
Immediately following the parade, visitors (ages 21+) can attend the traditional annual keg-tapping events scheduled around town.
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest 2023 Keg Tapping
Visitors aged 21+ are invited to join the Helen Oktoberfest keg-tapping events around town. These events happen on Saturday afternoons during the first half of Oktoberfest. Bring $10 cash for daily participation. The 2023 Keg Tapping schedule is:
- Saturday, September 9th
- 1:30 pm – Helen Festhalle
- 3:00 pm – Cafe International
- 3:30 pm – Christoff’s 76
- 4:00 pm – Bodensee
- Saturday, September 16th
- 12:00 pm – Cowboys & Angels
- 12:30 pm – The Troll Tavern
- 1:00 pm – Alpine Brew Deck
- 1:30 pm – King Ludwig Biergarten
- Saturday, September 23rd
- 12:00 pm – Slice of Helen
- 12:30 pm – Bigg Daddy’s
- 1:00 pm – Bangkok
- 1:30 pm – Lacabana
- Saturday, September 30th
- 12:00 pm – Hofbrauhaus
- 1:00 pm – Betty’s Country Store
- 1:30 pm – Alpine Pizza Garden
- 2:00 pm – Two Tire Tavern
- 2:30 pm – Hofer’s Bakery and Cafe
- Saturday, October 7th
- 12:00 pm – McCoyne’s Brewery
- 1:00 pm – Chattahoochee Dog Haus
- 1:30 pm – Sweet Acre Farms Wine
- 2:00 pm – Monday’s Pub
- 2:30 pm – Spice55
See the interactive Helen GA Oktoberfest map below to help plan your trip.
Helen Georgia Oktoberfest 2023 Bands
Enjoy authentic live German music at the Helen Festhalle throughout Oktoberfest. Each week features 2 great bands – the music starts 30 minutes after the doors open each day.
The 2023 Helen Oktoberfest band schedule includes some of the top acts performing Oktoberfest favorites.
- September 7 – 10 with music from The Czechers and Alpen Echos
- September 14 – 17 with music from Martin Gross und sein Sonnenschein Express and Das Haus
- September 21 – 24 with music from Prost and Alpen Echos
- September 28 – October 1 with music from Zuelfel Brothers and Sonnen Schnapps
- October 2 – 8 with music from Squeeze Box featuring Ted Lange & Mollie B. and Sonnen Schnapps
- October 9 – 15 with music from Alex Meixner Band and Duncan Schoen
- October 16 – 22 with music from Alpenmusikanten and Pech & Schweifel
- October 23 – 29 with music from Europa and Das Haus
Arrive early for the best seats, or spend the entire time doing traditional dances on the Festhalle dance floor!
You can also find great bands at other places throughout Helen – click here to learn more about the top places for live music in Helen all year long!
Helen Oktoberfest Food Menu
The Helen Festhalle serves traditional German favorites like bratwurst, sauerkraut, leberkase, and German potato salad. Snackable standards like nachos, hot dogs, and cookies are available for picky eaters in your group.
Outside of the Festhalle, Helen is known for many great restaurants with German food and drink!
Helen Oktoberfest Lodging
There are many different options for lodging in Helen during Oktoberfest, but be sure to book in advance as most Helen hotels and rentals will sell out on peak Oktoberfest dates.
For the best experience, try to find a place within walking distance from downtown Helen. It’s a great time of year to be outside for a walk around town, plus vehicle traffic can be especially busy during Oktoberfest.
Many of the great VRBO vacation rentals in Helen are within walking distance of the center of Helen village. Choose from amazing Helen cabins, including riverfront rentals, or find rental houses, condos, and cottages. Find pet-friendly cabins in Helen or something big enough for a large group!
Helen Hotels & Motels
Stay with familiar brands and find perks, including free breakfast, parking, and internet access. Earn free nights or loyalty points with select rates. Find the best prices and search multiple hotel properties/brands with online travel agencies like Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, and Booking.com.
Get a little closer to nature with a stay at a campground. Find primitive campsites and glamping options, or rent an RV for your camping trip.
Helen Oktoberfest Transportation
The popular Oktoberfest event sees the small town of Helen (population 543) swell to greet thousands of visitors each year. This can stretch transportation resources like taxi companies, making finding a driver when you need one most challenging. Make plans in advance to ensure you get home safely.
- If possible, book Helen lodging within walking distance of festivities and don’t drive during Oktoberfest
- If you will be drinking and cannot walk home, designate a sober driver or arrange for other transportation
- Visitors from nearby cities may find tour bus excursions that include transportation to Helen and back
- Local taxi service is available from Alpine Taxi at +1 (706) 969-5311
- For trips within Helen, you can opt for a horse-drawn carriage to take to you into town and back (service area and business hours are very limited)
- Alpine Carriage Company +1 (706) 892-8134
- Pegasus Horse Drawn Carriages +1 (706) 499-1159
- Rideshare apps (Lyft and Uber) do not show Helen as a city that they serve, but drivers may be in the area during peak times (it is not advised to count on this option)
What to Take to the 2023 Helen Oktoberfest
Plan ahead and make sure you have everything you need during the festival.
You don’t need much more than a festive spirit to enjoy yourself at the Helen Oktoberfest. Carry these essentials to ensure you have everything for a memorable trip!
- Take your ID – most places in Helen have a strict policy to check everyone’s ID
- Carry cash – many places do accept credit cards, but cash is often a preferred method to tip servers and musicians
- Wear an easy-to-carry crossbody bag to keep important items close while dining and dancing
- A unique beer stein can be as fun and festive as you’d like – plus, it will always stand out in a crowd!
- Carry a water bottle to make sure you stay hydrated during long days and nights of festivities
Dressing for Oktoberfest
Although dressing up for Oktoberfest is not required, you may find that it helps you to enjoy yourself just a little more. 😉
- Oktoberfest Clothing for Men
- Octoberfest Clothing for Women
- A dirndl dress is a traditional Oktoberfest choice
- Be aware that the way the knot is tied on the dirndl may signify relationship status (a knot on the left means single, a knot on the right means taken, a knot in the center may signify virginity, and a knot in the back can indicate a widow or a waitress)
- Oktoberfest Accessories – add an extra touch of fun with Oktoberfest-themed accessories like hats, socks, earrings, and glasses
- Children can choose to get in on the fun by getting fully dressed up or simply adding a fun accessory to any outfit
- Oktoberfest for Pets – If you are traveling with your dog (note that only documented service dogs are allowed into the Helen Festhalle), you may also want to dress up your pet for Oktoberfest
Additional Helen Oktoberfest Resources
The official events happen at the Helen Festhalle at 1074 Edelweiss Strasse, Helen, GA, but many other restaurants and places in Helen will also be participating in additional ways.
Check with your favorite local businesses to find other interesting Helen GA things do during the weeks of Oktoberfest celebrations. Look for live music performances, extended hours, and more!
Helen Oktoberfest Interactive Map
Use the interactive map of downtown Helen, Georgia, to find the Kickoff Parade route, the Keg Tapping stops, the main festival hall, and more!
Staying Safe at Helen Oktoberfest
While the festive environment usually brings out the best in people, law enforcement officers will be there to help with crowd control and ensure that everyone has a great time.
If someone in your group needs legal advice or assistance, contact the legal team of Corales and Woody for a free legal consultation. This Georgia legal team has years of experience and can answer your questions over the phone at (678) 961-3999. Contact them any time via phone, email, or online form.
Helen Georgia Links
Visit these links to learn more about things to do in Helen, GA, in October and all year round!
- Helen, GA – best places to stay
- Helen, GA – best restaurants
- Helen, GA – best places for live music
- Helen Chamber of Commerce – official Oktoberfest website
- Oktoberfest Festhalle Friends, Helen, Georgia – Facebook group
Thank you for saving and sharing this article!
Have you been to one of the annual Helen Oktoberfest events? What are you looking forward to this year?