The Annual Georgia Wine Highway Event
The 2021 Georgia Wine Highway event will take place from August 1 – August 31 in 2021.
2021 Georgia Wine Highway Information
In previous years a “Georgia Wine Highway Week” was held over the span of 10 days in March. However, in 2020 the Georgia Wine Highway event expanded to a month-long celebration and will continue as a month-long event in 2021. This year’s event will include wineries from more areas of Georgia to encourage more exploration around the state.
Clear your calendar now as details and participating wineries will be shared over the coming weeks.
Wine Highway Week in the Georgia Mountains
The Winegrowers Association of Georgia is sponsoring the 2021 annual Georgia Wine Highway from August 1, 2021, through August 31, 2021. This tour of some of the finest North Georgia mountain vineyards includes a commemorative souvenir wine glass and 4-5 wine tastings at each participating vineyard. There is a $50 charge per passport, but with the opportunity to sample multiple wines from 20+ vineyards, it is one of the best deals in Georgia!
Stay tuned for details, including participating vineyards and links to the Georgia Wine Highway 2021 Passport.
*** Note that the information below is for the 2020 event – Stay tuned for 2021 updates ***
To participate, visit any of the participating wineries and request a Wine Highway passport. You will receive a “Wine Highway Week” souvenir glass for your tastings and an admission “passport” punch card for the participating wineries. Be sure to keep the Passport and Souvenir Glass with you at all wineries visited to receive your wine tastings!
Each winery provides its own wine tasting format, and many vineyards also offer complimentary food and live music (these bonuses are usually on the busier weekend days).
- Monday – Thursday: 1-5
- Fridays: 12-5
- Saturdays: 11-5
- Sundays: 12:30-5
2020 Wine Highway Week Participating Vineyards & Wineries
The full list of 2020 participants is ready, and there are 28 great North Georgia vineyards and wineries that have signed up to participate for 2020! Please note that vineyards that have been crossed out below are no longer participating in the event after the COVID-19 shutdowns.
Blue Ridge & Ellijay
- Cartecay Vineyards, 5704 Clear Creek Rd, Ellijay, GA
- Engelheim Vineyards, 127 Lakeview Rd, Ellijay, GA
Mercier Orchards, 8660 Blue Ridge Drive, Blue Ridge, GA
- Ott Farms and Vineyard, 230 Henry Evans Rd, Ellijay, GA
Serenberry Vineyards, 450 Tipton Trail, Morganton, GA
Cleveland & Helen
CeNita Vineyards & Winery, 591 Dock Dorsey Rd, Cleveland, GA
- Creekstone Winery, 295 Hardman Farm Road, Sautee, GA
- Habersham Winery, 7025 South Main Street, Helen, GA
- Serenity Cellars, 265 Laurel Ridge Rd, Cleveland, GA
- Yonah Mountain Vineyards, 1717 Highway 255 S, Cleveland, GA
- Cavender Creek Vineyards & Winery, 3610 Cavender Creek Rd, Dahlonega, GA
- The Cottage Vineyard & Winery, 5050 Hwy 129N, Cleveland, GA (Dahlonega AVA)
Kaya Vineyard & Winery, 5400 Town Creek Rd, Dahlonega, GA
- Etowah Meadery, 3003 Morrison Moore Parkway East, Dahlonega, GA
Twisted Wine Garden at Dahlonega Resort & Vineyard, 400 Blueberry Hill Drive, Dahlonega, GA
- Chateau Meichtry, 1862 Orchard Lane, Talking Rock, GA
- Fainting Goat Vineyards & Winery, 201 Vineyard Way, Jasper, GA
- Sharp Mountain Vineyards, 110 Rathgeb Trail, Jasper, GA
Tiger, Toccoa, & Rabun Gap
- 12 Spies Vineyards & Farm, 550 Black Branch Rd, Rabun Gap, GA
- Stonewall Creek Vineyards, 323 Standing Deer Lane, Tiger GA
Tiger Mountain Vineyards, 2592 Old Highway 441 South, Tiger, GA
- Currahee Vineyard & Winery, 3301 West Currahee, Toccoa, GA
Upper Hiwassee Highlands AVA
- Hightower Creek Vineyards, 7150 Canaan Drive, Hiawassee, GA
- Crane Creek Vineyards, 916 Crane Creek Rd, Young Harris, GA
- Odom Springs Vineyards, Winery, Tasting Room & Lodge, 637 Odom Rd, Blairsville, GA
Paradise Hills, 366 Paradise Rd, Blairsville, GA
These areas aren’t quite in the mountains, but they are close enough to be included in North Georgia’s 2020 Wine Highway Week event. Enjoy these North Georgia winery locations in Alto and White.
- Big Door Vineyards, 125 Clearwater Trail, White, GA
- Sweet Acre Farms Winery, 7584 Bill Wilson Rd, Alto, GA
Please note that the vineyards/wineries that are crossed out above chose to opt-out of the event after the COVID pandemic moved the event dates.
See the previous Ga Mountains Guide post about the great value when we visited all 22 participating wineries for the 2018 Wine Highway Week!
NOTE: Although most of the North Georgia vineyards do participate in the Wine Highway Week event, you should know that there are a few select Georgia mountain vineyards that do not participate. Excellent vineyards that are not signed up to participate include Wolf Mountain Vineyards & Winery, Frogtown Cellars, Montaluce Winery and Estates, Three Sisters Vineyards, Bear Claw Vineyards, and Ellijay River Vineyards.
Tips for Enjoying the 2021 Georgia Wine Highway
Follow a few simple steps to ensure that everyone has a safe and fun trip to the Georgia mountains.
Designate a sober driver for the excursions!
Each one of the participating vineyards is located in the scenic Georgia mountains and provides gorgeous views of the area. However, the routes and roads are twisty, country, mountain roads and require an alert driver for safe navigation.
Plan to visit no more than 3-4 vineyards per day
Although there are some areas where vineyards are close together, most vineyards require at least a 15-minute drive to each other. Plan in advance to visit groups of vineyards that are close together.
Share a passport to help keep a clear head
Each tasting provides at least a few sips of each wine, so if you don’t mind sharing your glass, you can share the tasting with someone. This will allow you to keep a clearer head — plus, you can almost always purchase an extra glass (or bottle) of your favorite wines!
Wear comfortable shoes that can handle dirt and gravel
Most of the tasting areas are located indoors, but many of the vineyards have dirt or gravel roads and pathways to access their main buildings. You will not want to be wearing fancy heels for this event.
Stay hydrated and well-fed during the tastings
Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink water. Take your own water bottle and make sure to drink plenty to stay hydrated. Make sure that you have some food in your stomach as well — either travel with your own snacks or plan to visit one of the great nearby restaurants in the Georgia mountains for a full meal.
What You’ll Need at the 2021 Georgia Wine Highway
Be sure to do a little bit of advance planning to get the most out of the Wine Highway Week event. Keeping a few key items with you can make the event even more enjoyable.
- Wine glass markers or charms – since everyone will receive the same identical glass for the wine highway week, having a way to mark your own can be beneficial to avoid confusion in the tasting room
- ID/proof of age – make sure that you can prove that you are old enough to drink wine legally (you must be 21 years old to drink alcohol in Georgia)
- Crossbody bags – a hands-free bag for men or for women will make it much easier to walk around the grounds with your wine glass, passport, and any snacks that have been offered
- Water bottles – grab a case of spring water or take a Hydro Flask to make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout the day
- Polarized Sunglasses with UV protection – eliminate glare and protect your eyes while enjoying the mountain weather and vineyard views
- Sunscreen – don’t let the mild Spring temperatures fool you – the sun is still powerful enough to burn on these gorgeous days
- Maps – some of the vineyards are in remote areas and you may not have data coverage on your cell phone – download Google maps of the areas you will visit in advance of your trip to make sure you can easily find your way around
- Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover Liquid Pen – be ready to clean up any spills before stains set into your favorite clothes
Which are your favorite North Georgia wineries and which Georgia mountain vineyards are you most hoping to visit this year?
Please pin, share, and comment!